Thursday, October 31, 2013

Field trip

 This first work of art is one of my favorites from MIAD. It was at the top of the stairs and caught my attention immediately. It had a very simple composition, but through the use of simple shapes,  it created a overall striking image. The paint strokes really enhance the "tribal" character in this painting and actually makes it feel as if this person has war paint on. Although simple, it caught my eye.















  This technique of displaying this project was absolutely refreshing. I had never seen anything like this but I was interested as soon as I saw it. Initially, all I saw was black and white fabric lying on the ground. But now that I have the chance to look at it closer, I can see the image of a girl in it. It appears that she's upset and struggling and I think the violent and messy way the fabric is draped really enhances that message. I would love to try something like this for one of my projects.
 I particularly liked these edits, because I personally struggle when I edit. I find myself not being able to choose what kind of color or tone I prefer on a certain project, so I usually save two different copies until I can decide on one. However, this is just too cool of a project to single down to one image. I really enjoy the rule of thirds that the cat creates and how the lines lead my eyes through the paper. The lighting and use of space is also very unique.





 I really enjoy this few pieces, because they have a whimsical sense to them, yet I can tell they were all worked very hard on. Firstly, I absolutely love the color and use of space in the brain image. I would love to hang something like this in my room. I really feel the artist made this look like a finished piece of work instead of leaving some things out. They accomplished this, because they filled every inch of the canvas with something.




 These portraits struck me, because they were unbelievably realistic, had great attention to detail, really captured the mood of the person and accomplished great lighting and shading. I've never been good with drawing or painting people, so these seem like masterpieces to me. I love how they feel the page, but also follow the rule of thirds. Because of how close these are staged, it really gives viewers the opportunity to focus on all the detail and mark making the artist did. Maybe I could try to take portraits that are as simply striking as these drawings.











 This was one of the first things I saw when I entered the MIAD building, but I immediately knew I wanted a picture of it. I'm not exactly sure what media this would be considered, but I'll just call in a collage. I love the simple, yet captivating beauty and contrast that this project demonstrates. I love the heavy black colors and marks against the textured fabric. I also love that they incorporated the glass panel into this and that they put images behind it, especially images with great texture. I'm not exactly sure what their message was, but nonetheless, I was impressed with the overall composition.











 I think some of the most interesting pieces of artwork are commonly overlooked things throughout the city. I saw this on an old wall and was impressed. It's a great example of print and typography. It uses space on the wall and certainly has a message. Whoever the artist is, had a great idea, because they offered uplifting art to anyone who walked past.








 I found this metal design in the Katie Gingrass gallery and was taken back at the beautiful curves and texture. There is obviously a lot of detail in the shape of this work of art. I like how it branches out and fills the frame it's in, yet allows us to see through it. Previously mentioned, I really appreciated the rough texture and dirty, rusted metal color it had. It had a really rustic, yet beautiful feel to the composition. I'm sure shaping metal that delicately is difficult, so I had a lot of respect for the artist that created it.













 This was also taken the Katie Gingrass gallery and I found myself coming back to it over and over again. The glass had such a smooth and perfectly formed surface to it and I couldn't help but appreciate how soft it looked. In fact, I was tempted to run my fingers across it (I didn't, of course). I've never blown glass before, and I have no idea how the artist constructed such a perfect shape with such a pretty color scheme, but I think it's a beautiful piece.





 This is a photograph of my own, unedited. I didn't feel like editing anything I found in the third ward, because I felt that everything I saw was already a piece of art in itself and I didn't want to change it. This was taken in the Champagne Studio and I immediately noticed the great texture, lines, and possible rule of thirds that this window displayed. It also let in great light and shadows. I could have stayed there all day and taken numerous photos of the window, seeing all the different ways that I could have played with the light.












Like I said previously, I think some of the most beautiful pieces of art are things just found while walking through the city. I noticed this and had to take a picture of it. Perhaps I love the third ward so much, because there is just so much positivity and uplifting, free, artwork to be seen. This simple font on a wall caught my eye and I appreciated it for the contrast, smooth lines and the message. I'd love to continue to visit the third ward and see what other beautiful works of art I could discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment